Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Subscribers' Forums » General Scooter Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:58 am 
Offline
Board Pro!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 934
Whats the Best Insurance to buy? I have had some quotes and fully comp is as much or more than the bike is worth! :o


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:21 pm 
Offline
Posting Insanity

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:09 am
Posts: 1251
I would suggest phoning up as many insurance companies as possible as this is the best way to find a cheap quote. Don’t rely on internet quotes either as insurance brokers can often do cheaper quotes over the phone.

At your age you may find that most of your quotes come out quite expensive just the way it goes I‘m afraid.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 am 
Offline
Board Pro!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 934
Which colour do you all prefer?

Image
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:58 am 
Offline
T&G Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 182
Location: Essex/London
You might be interested to learn that Peugeot have started importing what is basically the Baotian but under their own badge, with full dealer support. I don't know how it has been modified from the Baotian otherwise.

See here: http://www.nxgn-ltd.com/ezweblite/PUBLI ... BIKE=10452

It's more money, but you'll probably be able to get a CBT and gear deal thrown-in when you are going through a local dealer, so your total outlay will be probably be similar.

Don't be surprised that Peugeot are selling Chinese made bikes. Piaggio have been for a while, too.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 pm 
Offline
Board Pro!

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:29 pm
Posts: 542
Location: Herts
That's not such a bad looking scoot. Some of the Chinese ones look, well, distinctively "chinese" and a bit odd. Prefer it in Silver, it's a little more "european".

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:04 pm 
Offline
T&G Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 185
Location: West Midlands
I've had a Baotian BT50QT-9H for 7 months now and I use it as my daily commute plus a few weekend ride-outs. It's never let me down in 2000km even though it sits outside in all weathers and gets used every single day (apart from the two days when it snowed like a motherlover).

A few things to bear in mind:

The internet is your friend. There are dedicated forums for owners of chinese scooters, with step by step guides on how to change oils, derestrict when you're legally able to, fit alarms etc. and there is always friendly advice available from people who own these scooters and run them all day every day. Asking for advice on this forum is unfortunately like sticking your hand in a wasps nest, there's a lot of anti-chinese feeling on here. Stick to the sites where you can get proper advice - not the usual "chuck it in the bin and buy a Piaggio" bulldung you'll hear on this site.

The minute you get it out of the crate, change the oil. The crap they fill the bike with at the factory is a thin green slurry, I wouldn't trust it to lubricate my missus. For the first few oil changes you only want ordinary multigrade chip fat so pop down to Tescos and buy two litres of 10W40 car oil for around a fiver. The oil change intervals after this are at 300km, 600km and then 1000km followed by a drink of fully synthetic 10W40 every 1000km. It's a fifteen minute job to change the oil using only a basic socket set - if you have a 17mm socket you have all the tools you need, apart from a plastic 1 litre measuring jug (34p from Tescos too!)

Do the same with the gearbox oil too, use Halfords own brand gearbox oil NOT motor oil. Buy a 100cc syringe from Ebay to do this job, it'll be the best tool you've ever bought. Gearbox oil change intervals are same as engine oil. Again, a socket set job - there's only two 13mm nuts to undo. Smelly job though as gearbox oil stinks.

Also change the spark plug, fit an NGK CR7HSA and then forget about it for 6000km. Slightly more complicated but there are step by step guides on how to do this, PM me if you want me to find them for you and email them over.

Think of these bikes as an ongoing engineering project, you'll learn loads about scooter maintenance by buying one of these and as long as you look after it, it'll look after you. Neglect it and it'll choose the most isolated place in the world to break down on you!

Most important thing is, ride well and ride safely, and enjoy yourself!

_________________
Scooter noob - car expert
Image
The above opinion is my own and applies only to me, if you don't agree - fair enough :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:07 pm 
Offline
Board Pro!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 934
Davva2004 wrote:
I've had a Baotian BT50QT-9H for 7 months now and I use it as my daily commute plus a few weekend ride-outs. It's never let me down in 2000km even though it sits outside in all weathers and gets used every single day (apart from the two days when it snowed like a motherlover).

A few things to bear in mind:

The internet is your friend. There are dedicated forums for owners of chinese scooters, with step by step guides on how to change oils, derestrict when you're legally able to, fit alarms etc. and there is always friendly advice available from people who own these scooters and run them all day every day. Asking for advice on this forum is unfortunately like sticking your hand in a wasps nest, there's a lot of anti-chinese feeling on here. Stick to the sites where you can get proper advice - not the usual "chuck it in the bin and buy a Piaggio" bulldung you'll hear on this site.

The minute you get it out of the crate, change the oil. The crap they fill the bike with at the factory is a thin green slurry, I wouldn't trust it to lubricate my missus. For the first few oil changes you only want ordinary multigrade chip fat so pop down to Tescos and buy two litres of 10W40 car oil for around a fiver. The oil change intervals after this are at 300km, 600km and then 1000km followed by a drink of fully synthetic 10W40 every 1000km. It's a fifteen minute job to change the oil using only a basic socket set - if you have a 17mm socket you have all the tools you need, apart from a plastic 1 litre measuring jug (34p from Tescos too!)

Do the same with the gearbox oil too, use Halfords own brand gearbox oil NOT motor oil. Buy a 100cc syringe from Ebay to do this job, it'll be the best tool you've ever bought. Gearbox oil change intervals are same as engine oil. Again, a socket set job - there's only two 13mm nuts to undo. Smelly job though as gearbox oil stinks.

Also change the spark plug, fit an NGK CR7HSA and then forget about it for 6000km. Slightly more complicated but there are step by step guides on how to do this, PM me if you want me to find them for you and email them over.

Think of these bikes as an ongoing engineering project, you'll learn loads about scooter maintenance by buying one of these and as long as you look after it, it'll look after you. Neglect it and it'll choose the most isolated place in the world to break down on you!

Most important thing is, ride well and ride safely, and enjoy yourself!


Thank you for your fantastic reply! :D

Oh So there is lots to do then. I just thought you pop some unleaded into a 4 stroke and away she goes. Im so Naive.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:23 pm 
Offline
T&G Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 185
Location: West Midlands
minicooper wrote:
Thank you for your fantastic reply! :D

Oh So there is lots to do then. I just thought you pop some unleaded into a 4 stroke and away she goes. Im so Naive.


Not naive at all, with any brand new vehicle - car, bike, Boeng 747 - there is always a running in procedure, this is the procedure for a new Baotian.

Don't rag it senseless for the first 1000km, use half throttle and try to vary your speed, don't sit there at 30mph for long periods and don't let the engine idle for long periods without moving.

The first 1000km on any new bike are the most vital, look after the bike at first and it'll look after you from then on.

I took it easy on mine, did all of the above, and then derestricted it after 1000km. I now pull 45mph on the flat, 35mph up hills, and I've had it off the clock so many times downhill - if the speedo is accurate, it pulls up to 60mph before the rev limited cuts in. Surprised a few guys on 125cc cruisers the other weekend when we went out for a ride.

Bear in mind I'm okay to desrestrict mine from a legal point of view, you're restricted to 30mph until you're 17. Once past that you can either derestrict it, or trade it in for a 125cc which is always going to have superior performance compared to a derestricted 50cc.

Don't forget the safety gear - one place where you really can't afford to save money. You'll need a good full face helmet, armoured jacket, gloves, boots, and if you're gonna ride out in all weathers then waterproof overtrousers will be your bestest mate. Don't be like all the other chavs you see on scooters riding round in tracky bottoms and a tee shirt - you hit the road at any speed at all and you have three seconds before the tarmac wipes out your skin and muscle and starts scraping flat points on your skeleton.

_________________
Scooter noob - car expert
Image
The above opinion is my own and applies only to me, if you don't agree - fair enough :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:44 pm 
Offline
Board Pro!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 934
Davva2004 wrote:
minicooper wrote:
Thank you for your fantastic reply! :D

Oh So there is lots to do then. I just thought you pop some unleaded into a 4 stroke and away she goes. Im so Naive.


Not naive at all, with any brand new vehicle - car, bike, Boeng 747 - there is always a running in procedure, this is the procedure for a new Baotian.

Don't rag it senseless for the first 1000km, use half throttle and try to vary your speed, don't sit there at 30mph for long periods and don't let the engine idle for long periods without moving.

The first 1000km on any new bike are the most vital, look after the bike at first and it'll look after you from then on.

I took it easy on mine, did all of the above, and then derestricted it after 1000km. I now pull 45mph on the flat, 35mph up hills, and I've had it off the clock so many times downhill - if the speedo is accurate, it pulls up to 60mph before the rev limited cuts in. Surprised a few guys on 125cc cruisers the other weekend when we went out for a ride.

Bear in mind I'm okay to desrestrict mine from a legal point of view, you're restricted to 30mph until you're 17. Once past that you can either derestrict it, or trade it in for a 125cc which is always going to have superior performance compared to a derestricted 50cc.

Don't forget the safety gear - one place where you really can't afford to save money. You'll need a good full face helmet, armoured jacket, gloves, boots, and if you're gonna ride out in all weathers then waterproof overtrousers will be your bestest mate. Don't be like all the other chavs you see on scooters riding round in tracky bottoms and a tee shirt - you hit the road at any speed at all and you have three seconds before the tarmac wipes out your skin and muscle and starts scraping flat points on your skeleton.


Im no chav but yeah. I'll get some expensive jacket and helmet. So if I do ever come off I'll be well protected


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Subscribers' Forums » General Scooter Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: