Rusty exhaust

This is general scooter discussion forum, open to all, but limited to scooter-related chatter.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

ScooterCommuter
T&G Regular

Rusty exhaust

Postby ScooterCommuter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:04 pm

My exhaust is almost a year old and is getting rusty. What is the life expectancy of them (it's a 4T Chinese scooter), is it worth repainting the down pipe in the summer? I suspect that it is rusting even more on the inside. It's hard to tell how rusty the silencer is as it is enclosed in a chrome/plastic enclosure.

Does anybody know whether it's possible to get stainless steel exhausts for Chinese scooters? I would need one that isn't noisy. Or are there any other small scooters that I can get one for?
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Re: Rusty exhaust

Postby RoadieRoger » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:45 pm

They will get rusty if the Scooter is used every day in all weathers . You have to keep on top of it by wire brushing and/or emery paper . The HALFORD`S high temperature aerosol spray in matt or silk is the way to go . This is better than barbeque spray paint in my opinion .
ScooterCommuter
T&G Regular

Postby ScooterCommuter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Can the downpipe be easily removed and reattached? Would the seal still be ok?
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm

I have never had problems with my Aprilia Leonardo on re attaching the exhaust system . Attach the manifold end first with the nuts finger tight before the silencer end and tighten the silencer nut(s) alternating with the manifold ones . It`s always handy to clean the threads with a die of the correct thread or a tap before re-assembly and use copperslip on the threads . Tap/die sets come up regularly in Aldi or Lidl for about £6 . They are very handy to have and last for years . Copperslip can be bought in small tubes or as a small spraycan in the 99p Shop on occasions .
DTO
TAG Moderator

Postby DTO » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Halfords also do the tin version which you can paint on with brush , If you can remove the exhaust heat cover you can paint most of the exhaust on the scooter :idea:

I did mine the same as this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIfyDbYAHjw

Had to look back through your posts to see what your scooter was :!:
But looks like a new stainless exhaust is cheap for the pulse lightspeed 2 :smokin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-Exhaus ... 23243ad6a3
ScooterCommuter
T&G Regular

Postby ScooterCommuter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 am

DTO wrote:Had to look back through your posts to see what your scooter was :!:
But looks like a new stainless exhaust is cheap for the pulse lightspeed 2 :smokin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-Exhaus ... 23243ad6a3

That exhaust is available direct from CMPO, and is either the same price or much cheaper if the standard one doesn't come with a downpipe. My main concern with it is that it could be noisier because it's a 'sports' exhaust.

Some of the chrome parts of my exhaust have gone rusty, but most of it polished out easily, so I wonder whether it was something like rusty brake dust rather than the chrome itself rusting?
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

All things equal , the stainless exhaust will be a bit noisier as the metal is probably a thinner
gauge . I would go for the stainless one anyway as the weakest part on a Scooter is the mild steel exhaust . The other annoying thing is having to take the complete system off from the manifold for removing the rear wheel . It is easier if there is a join before the silencer .

Return to “General Scooter Discussion”